Thursday, January 8, 2009

Into Eternity, Brother...

When I eat lunch each day in my classroom, I check the news at www.cnn.com and www.cnsnews.com. Then I head over to this blog to see what is going on. I stopped in mid-bite and tears came to my eyes as this post greeted me.

I cannot begin to say what the writings of Richard John Neuhaus have meant to me. In the early 1990s, I devoured the book he co-authored with Chuck Colson titled Evangelicals and Catholics Together. Since then I have savored his exquisite reflection on the last words of Christ called Death On A Friday Afternoon. Most recently I have been reading his book Catholic Matters. I can also recall vividly his commentary with Raymond Arroyo on EWTN during Pope Benedict XVI's visit to the United States. Father Neuhaus represented to this Protestant what is best in Catholicism. His doctrinal orthodoxy and his ability to articulate it are exceeded perhaps only by the current pope. I conclude with these words from the 1st century B.C. Roman poet Catullus. In perpetuum, frater, ave atque vale. "Into eternity, my brother, hail and farewell."

No comments: