Thursday, April 3, 2008

Fitna and the Challenge to Moderate Muslims

From FrontPage:
...As a Muslim, I experienced a range of emotions in viewing the film. At a fundamental level, while I found the content and substance disturbing in its simplistic indictment on Islam, and the Qur'an in particular, I believe its unfettered distribution is necessary to demonstrate "putative" Islamic tolerance, and to support the absolute right to freedom of expression. Nevertheless, the film instilled a sense of anger in me, as I suspect it does for most genuinely moderate Muslims. My anger however, is directed inward, towards Muslim thinking, rather than Mr Wilders or other critics of Islam. ..
...But as the Islamist reaction to Fitna grows, moderate Muslims must not only accept the Fitna challenge, but must also play a central leadership role in ensuring that the blame for Fitna is not placed on Mr Wilders, but squarely on the shoulders of Islamists. For moderate Muslims, this is a defining moment.
read article here

I agree with this. I hope the moderate Muslim scholars speak loudly and convincingly. I do not hold Mr. Wilders view that Islam as an ideology should be destroyed. I am not yet convinced that it is inherently a violent religion but I am distrubed at the silence of the moderates Mr Haidon makes some very good points.

No comments: