Friday, November 12, 2010

School Makes Boy Take American Flag Off Bike

13-year-old Cody Alicea rides with an American flag on the back of his bike. He says he does this to be patriotic and to honor veterans, like his own grandfather, Robert. He's had the flag on his bike for two months but Monday, was told to take it down.
A school official at Denair Middle School told Cody some students had been complaining about the flag and it was no longer allowed on school property.
Order since rescinded but the fact that it could be made with a straight face to begin with speaks volumes...

5 comments:

Magister Christianus said...

You have GOT to be kidding! The original purpose of having free public education in this country was to produce better citizens. Just one more example of our complete failure.

Beth Impson said...

And the beat goes on . . .

I haven't been visiting very many weblogs lately; missing a week of work for Daddy's memorial service and to be with my mom a few days put me way more than a week behind! I've been enjoying browsing a bit today and appreciate reading your latest several posts. The world becomes a scarier place every day, it seems -- so grateful we do not have to depend on our own resources to face it!

I hope all is well with you and yours; maybe we can meet sometime next summer when I visit my mom for a few weeks.

Blessings,

Beth

eutychus said...

Better citizens? You mean like Civics classes? I'd heard about those. WE still have something like that in Boy Scouts...
Pardon my sarcasm..One of many original purposes that have been left behind and forgotten, eh?

eutychus said...

Hi Beth! Could to hear form you! I understand completely and apologize for not getting by and expressing my condolences for you loss.
"so grateful we do not have to depend on our own resources.." indeed. Its good to remind and be reminded of that over arching Truth.
Please let me know when you are visiting again. I would very much like to meet.

kkollwitz said...

This may have been the most important lesson the kids at that school learn this year, depending how you define "lesson."